Unable to open attachments
Hellfire0
2009-09-25 16:27:44 UTC
I've had this problem for months but just ignored it. I reinstalled
Vista today and put Windows Live Mail back on. Every time I try and open
attachments like .wmv I get this error. [image:

I have made sure without a doubt that .wmv is set to run with VLC.

I managed to get it to work by creating a new user account and running
WLM on that account. I don't want to do that considering this account is
less then 3 hours old and is the admin account.

I can open the files normally if I save them.

If you know a solution I will be very impressed. If you need any more
information let me know. Help!
Hellfire0
Michael Santovec
2009-09-25 17:42:24 UTC
The issue is that WLM needs the file associations to have an OPEN
action. When you save a file and double click it, the default action
gets used, which could be something like PLAY.

Take a saved WMV file, Right click and select OPEN WITH and browse to
your desired player program and check the box to always use it.

See the Identifying Attachment File Types and Setting File Associations
section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#identify
--
Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1971/errorxd.jpg]
Hellfire0
Hellfire0
2009-09-25 18:36:15 UTC
Post by Michael Santovec
The issue is that WLM needs the file associations to have an OPE
action. When you save a file and double click it, the default actio
gets used, which could be something like PLAY
Take a saved WMV file, Right click and select OPEN WITH and browse t
your desired player program and check the box to always use it
See the Identifying Attachment File Types and Setting File Association
section o
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutoria
'Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
(http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#identify
-
Mike - 'Santovec - Technical Help' (http://TechHelp.Santovec.us
Problem solved, kind of. So only certain media players have a ope
action that will work correctly with WLM. I tested using WMP an
attachments will play. I use VLC to play videos normally. I'll have t
check on some of the other file types and see what happens

Thanks for the help

Hellfire0
Michael Santovec
2009-09-26 02:28:07 UTC
When you install an application and it sets up Windows File
Associations, it can set up one or more Actions with whatever names it
wants. Media players usually set something like PLAY. Image viewers
may use VIEW or SHOW or DISPLAY, etc.

WLM, like Outlook Express and the Vista Windows Mail are looking
explicitly for an action called OPEN. If not found, you get your error
message.

The fix is to add an OPEN action to the Windows File Associations that
has the same command line as the default action. You can do that for
any application because it's outside of the application. It's a Windows
configuration setting. It's just that the for some applications, the
developers didn't think to add the OPEN action during install. It was
during XP SP2 that Microsoft tweaked the security settings to use the
OPEN action rather than the default one. Presumably it makes things
more secure, but I don't know how.

For another take on this issue for PPS and PDF files, see the following:

Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Outlook Express
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ppsopen.htm

Unable to open .PPS attachments directly from Windows Mail in Windows
Vista
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/149/1/Unable-to-open-PPS-attachments-directly-from-Windows-Mail-in-Windows-Vista.html

Unable to open .PDF attachments from Windows Mail
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/236/1/Unable-to-open-PDF-attachments-from-Windows-Mail.html
--
Post by Michael Santovec
The issue is that WLM needs the file associations to have an OPEN
action. When you save a file and double click it, the default action
gets used, which could be something like PLAY.
Take a saved WMV file, Right click and select OPEN WITH and browse to
your desired player program and check the box to always use it.
See the Identifying Attachment File Types and Setting File
Associations
section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
'Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial'
(http://TechHelp.Santovec.us/decode.htm#identify)
--
Mike - 'Santovec - Technical Help' (http://TechHelp.Santovec.us)
Problem solved, kind of. So only certain media players have a open
action that will work correctly with WLM. I tested using WMP and
attachments will play. I use VLC to play videos normally. I'll have to
Hellfire0
Colin Brown WLMVP
2009-09-25 17:45:18 UTC
I'm really confused as to what you're saying here. If you've got a wmv
attachment then why are you getting a pointer to a jpg image on a server
completely unconnected?
I could understand if this was a link in the email and the wmv file was not
found, then the originating site may post an error screen but I can't see
how this would happen with an attachment.
I've certainly never came across this before.
Any more information or details would be appreciated (how big is the
supposed attachment? Is there anything related in your event viewer logs?
etc.)

Colin Brown
WL MVP
Hellfire0
...winston
2009-09-26 06:20:58 UTC
The op captured the error message(screen shot), saved as a jpg and uploaded it to server for viewing.
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail